Updated (Wednesday, November 23, 2011)
Associated Press photo
An OWS’er hands President Hopey-Changey a note while the prez campaigns for re-election in New Hampshire today. Unfortunately, this is the only way to get a message to the president from the 99 percent of us, despite the love for the Occupy Wall Street movement that the treasonous Repugnican Tea Party falsely claims the Democratic Party establishment has.
While the Repugnican-Party-co-opted “tea party” traitors are old (tri-cornered) hat, the Occupy Wall Street movement seems to have staying power. Why? Because while the “tea party” traitors always have protected our plutocratic corporate overlords — the cause of our nation’s economic collapse — and thus were easy to absorb into the pro-plutocratic, pro-corporate Republican Party establishment, the OWS’ers have defied our overlords.
If OWS weren’t a force to be reckoned with, the treasonously pro-plutocratic Repugnican Tea Party wouldn’t put out fundraising e-mails like this one from the party’s congressional fundraising arm, which I received today (yes, I’m on the enemy’s e-mail list):
Democrats have made it clear who they are thankful for — the Occupy Movement protesters who have cost taxpayers millions of dollars, desecrated the American flag, hurt small businesses across the country, displayed contempt for law enforcement officials, tolerated anti-Semitism, and become the laughing stock of mainstream America.
In fact, Nancy Pelosi just sent out a fundraising email emphasizing her and Democrats’ continued support for the discredited protesters.
Democrats stand with them. We don’t. We stand with entrepreneurs who make this country, and the men and women in uniform who protect our liberties every day.
I urge you to make an immediate contribution of $20 to send a message that you stand with small businesses and law enforcement.
Your immediate $20 contribution will let Democrats know that their divisiveness and class warfare will not work in their relentless pursuit to regain the Speaker’s gavel.
Pete Sessions, NRCC Chairman
P.S. Don’t miss your chance to send a message. A contribution of $20 will send a clear message that you stand with small businesses and law enforcement.
I do congratulate Sessions (or his ghostwriter) for packing so many bold-faced fucking lies and bullshit talking points into one fundraising e-mail, though. Let’s see:
- Yes, the free expression of speech might cost the taxpayers some money. Freedom isn’t free, as the wingnuts love to remind us. (Our tax dollars fund the Secret Service, which is protecting Herman Cain, for instance.) Of course, those OWS’ers who exercise their First Amendment rights are taxpayers, too. It’s not just the wingnuts who pay taxes, and of course the richest wingnuts avoid paying their fair share of taxes like the fucking plague.
- I’m not sure about the flag desecration thing, but my response to that would be something like this: So the fuck what? You’re butt-hurt over a piece of cloth? Grow the fuck up and get some real priorities in life, pseudo-patriotic dipshit!
- “Hurt small businesses.” Right. Like the pro-corporate Repugnican Tea Party really gives a shit about small businesses and entrepreneurs. Um, how many small businesses are even left in the pro-corporate environment the Repugnican Tea Party traitors can’t support enough? Two? Three? This isn’t the 1950s anymore, when just about anyone could start his or her own business. Corporate pervasiveness in all areas of our lives makes modern entrepreneurship nearly impossible, as does the shitty American economy that’s likely to last at least for years.
- “Displayed contempt for law enforcement officials.” Um, would that be before or after the immoral, unprovoked and unjust (if not also illegal) use of pepper spray and other forms of unnecessary violence on non-threatening protesters? Puhfucklinglease. Right-wing (mostly white male) cops whose salaries the citizens pay show contempt for citizens who wish to exercise their First Amendment rights in any meaningful, effective way — unless those citizens are “tea party” traitors whom the cops agree with. (In that case, they get to exercise their First Amendment rights without being pepper-sprayed or otherwise molested by the pigs.)
- “Tolerated anti-Semitism”? There is one guy who shows up to every protest with his sign about Jewish bankers, but he represents every OWS’er. Right.
- “The laughing stock of mainstream America.” Um, wouldn’t that be serial sexual harasser Herman Cain, who thinks that the president can overrule the U.S. Supreme Court and that we have to prevent China from getting the nukes that it has had since the 1960s; public drunk Rick Perry, who’s always at a loss for words; wide-eyed lunatic Michele Bachmann, and all of the other pathetic Repugnican Tea Party presidential wannabes? The OWS’ers, in fact, have the sympathy of most of the nation and the world. They might be laughed at only by the wingnuts, whose opinion 0n any matter is less than worthless anyway.
- What Repugnican Tea Party fundraising e-mail would be complete without mention of Princess Nancy Pelosi? Yes, she’s worse than Satan himself. She hides under your child’s bed at night and scares the holy living shit out of him or her. Does the mere mention of Nancy Pelosi still work on the wingnuts to make them open their wallets? Is it a Pavolvian thing?
- “The men and women in uniform who protect our liberties every day.” Those would be the very same people whom the Repugnican Tea Party traitors send overseas to fight their illegal, immoral, unjust and unprovoked wars for the war profiteers and the corporateers, such as Dick Cheney’s Halliburton. If the Repugnican Tea Party traitors actually gave a shit about our troops, they wouldn’t put them in harm’s way unless it were absolutely necessary. But mentioning our troops — and insinuating that Democrats, liberals and progressives hate our troops — apparently elicits that right-wing Pavlovian response that is good for fundraising, so let’s just gratuitously mention our troops in our fundraising e-mails. (After all, our troops aren’t just great cannon fodder for corporations’ profiteering — they’re great for political fundraising, too!)
- “Democrats stand with them.” No, the Democrats don’t stand with the OWS’ers unless it’s to try to co-opt and exploit them. I mean, the Dems always want chumps’ votes and money.
That last point is demonstrated by the fact that today at a re-election campaign appearance in New Hampshire by President Hopey-Changey, an OWS’er put a note in the prez’s hand that read:
Mr. President: Over 4,000 peaceful protesters have been arrested while banksters continue to destroy the economy with impunity. You must stop the assault on our First Amendment rights. Your silence sends a message that police brutality is acceptable. Banks got bailed out. We got sold out.
Indeed, President Hopey-Changey’s silence on the Occupy Wall Street movement (which is quite similar to his silence that we saw regarding Wisconsin earlier this year while labor was fighting for its life against the pro-plutocratic, anti-working-class Repugnican Tea Party) and his silence on the blatant 1-percent-protecting-police brutality against OWS’ers has been deafening, so for the Repugnican Tea Party to assert that the Democratic Party establishment and the Occupy Wall Street movement are two peas in a pod is yet another fucking right-wing lie.
The Occupy Wall Street movement is something that neither the Coke Party nor the Pepsi Party (as I think of the nearly indistinguishable Repugnican Tea Party and Democratic Party) anticipated: a movement of citizens who are beyond sick and tired of having been sold out to our plutocratic corporate overlords by both of the major parties, who are as mad as hell and aren’t going to take it anymore, and have taken it to the streets. Who knew that the slaves would ever actually revolt?
The Democratic Party’s response to the OWS’ers has been to ignore them, for the most part — and not to criticize them publicly, lest they still be able to co-opt them — and the Repugnican Tea Party’s response has been to malign them, such as in the fundraising e-mail above. (Indeed, the OWS protesters have been “discredited” only by the traitors who comprise the Repugnican Tea Party who at the same time hypocritically accuse others of being “divisive.”)
If the OWS’ers weren’t on to something, if they weren’t a threat to the status quo, they wouldn’t be treated this way by the Coke Party and the Pepsi Party.
Their treatment at the hands of both parties is testament to their — to our — strength.
Long live the Occupy Wall Street movement, the people’s movement that the “tea party” “movement” never was and never will be.
Update (Wednesday, November 23, 2011): I didn’t adequately give the context of the episode in New Hampshire involving President Hopey-Changey yesterday.
What happened is that during his speech to his Obamabots, President Hopey-Changey was interrupted by a group of OWS’ers who attempted, using the “human mic[rophone],” to give him a message of their own. However, they weren’t far into their message before they were drowned out by the Obamabots, who started chanting “Obama, Obama, Obama…” (Creative!)
Therefore, apparently, after Obama concluded his speech, the OWS’er pictured above hand-delivered to Obama the message that the OWS’ers had tried to deliver to him.
Rachel Maddow’s show featured a clip of Obama stating during his speech in New Hampshire that he ran in 2008 primarily in order to benefit our young people. Right. That’s why the youth-powered OWS has been so successful: because Obama has been so great for our young people. Watching Obama lie through his fucking teeth about how great he has been for our young people made me want to take a shower with a wire brush.
And the Obamabots — the Democratic Party hacks who have no progressive principles whatsofuckingever but who obediently support the Democratic Party no matter fucking what, like it’s no more than their favorite sports team — knee-jerkingly defending Obama once the OWS’ers started their “human mic” demonstrates that the Repugnican Tea Party’s claim that the Democratic Party establishment and the OWS’ers are in bed together is bullshit.
The Democratic Party hacks do not support OWS because OWS points out how the Democratic Party has sold out the 99 percent of us. OWS’ers are the millions of us whom Barack Obama betrayed with his false promises of hope and change.
P.S. Via Joe. My. God., this is a graph of how much the Wall Street weasels have cost us, vs. how much the OWS protests have cost us:
Joe. My. God. notes that “wingnut blogs are going apeshit over the just-released estimate on police overtime and other costs related to OWS.”
Of course the wingnuts wholly ignore the costs that they have incurred, such as the trillions of dollars that we blow on bogus warfare via the military-industrial complex, the budget for which the Repugnican Tea Party traitors don’t want to reduce by a single fucking dime.
And how much have the “tea party” protests cost us? (Well, we know that the pepper-spray budget for “tea party” protests is nil, since “tea partiers” never get pepper-sprayed by the cops who sympathize with their wingnutty agenda.)